ONYCHOMYCOSIS (NAIL FUNGUS) is a condition that involves a fungal infection of the toenails. Nail fungus is a common condition that begins with a white or yellow spot under your toenail. As the fungal infection goes deeper, your nails may start to discolor, thicken or crumble. A severe case of nail fungus can be painful and may cause permanent damage to your nails.
- Discolored Nails.
- Thickened Nails.
- Brittle and/or crumbling.
- Distorted in shape.
- Slightly foul smell.
- Sweating heavily making your feet moist.
- Having a history of athlete's foot.
- Walking barefoot in damp areas such as pools, gyms or shower areas.
- Having a nail injury.
- Having diabetes, circulation problems or a weakened immune system.
- Wash your feet regularly.
- Try to keep your feet dry and free of moisture.
- Trim your nails straight across, smooth the edges with a file and disinfect your clippers after each use.
- Wear moisture absorbing socks.
- Wear breathable shoes with mesh material to allow air flow to your feet.
- Wear shoes in pool areas and locker rooms.
- Temporarily give up nail polish for about 6 months if your actively treating any type of nail fungus with a topical.
We have 3 types of treatment options for patients with toenail fungus. The treatment options we offer are a topical solution, oral medication and laser treatment. If you think you are a candidate for toenail fungus treatment, please contact our office at (772) 283-3800 to set up an appointment and you can also visit our services/conditions treated page to watch a short video about toenail fungus to learn about our laser treatment option.